The Redding Historical Society invites the public to its annual Holiday Gathering at Lonetown Farm on Sunday, Dec. 9, from 1 to 4. Visitors will have an opportunity to tour Lonetown Farm Museum and the Zalmon Read Barn.
The Lonetown Farm Museum is a restored two-story farmhouse featuring a traditional central chimney accommodating a kitchen fireplace, plus three others in the parlor, the west chamber and a second floor bedchamber. The first occupants of the Lonetown Farm were Esther Read Bartlett, granddaughter of John Read, and her husband Daniel Bartlett, son of the first Congregational minister. They were married in 1778.
The Zalmon Read Barn was built in the 1750s by Zalmon Read, grandson of John Read and Esther Read Barlett’s brother. Originally located north of Lonetown Farm, the barn was moved to the site at Lonetown Farm in 1980 by the Redding Historical Society, and placed on an old foundation of a previous barn.
In keeping with the season’s tradition, the Lonetown Farm Museum will be decorated with simple greens, herbs and fruit. Quilts belonging to the society will be on display throughout the house. Visitors are welcome to gather and take refreshment in the kitchen room, once the center of domestic life with its “beehive”-style brick-lined oven.
Gifts available for purchase include books on Mark Twain, the Little Red Schoolhouse, A History of Redding/Easton, books about our town and the people who lived here; prints of the Lonetown Farm, baseball caps and T-shirts with inscribed Redding script, and note cards by local artists Pam Reese on Lonetown Museum, the Barn, Umpawaug School, and the Aaron Barlow House.
The Lonetown Museum and Zalmon Read Barn are located at 43 Lonetown Road, across the field from Redding Elementary School.